Saturday, May 07, 2005

Homer the Heretic?

The Simpsons
The Simpsons, originally uploaded by justtherev.
McLaren's third book in his new kind of Christian trilogy is I think his best and yet the one I found most difficult to swallow. I think this is because like many characters in the book I believe I am a recovering fundamentalist and the subject of hell (which is the major theme of the 3rd book) is one I have tried to avoid over recent years. Anyway I thoroughly recommend the book. Also recommend you look at the Simpsons' episode "Homer the Heretic" where Homer skips church and has the best Sunday of his life. got it playing at the moment...Marge and the kids are freezing in church and the Rev Lovejoy is preaching about the fires of hell from Lamentations - the long version. Bart is smiling, has eyes closed and is rubbling his hands together and whispers - "Oh I'm there."
Does anyone take hell seriously anymore? If you used to and don't now but feel 'guilty' I'd love to hear from you!

I am keeping an eye on the job situation but a bit confused as to where I see myself....not overjoyed at the thought of being all churchy yet again. Also is the term 'fresh expressions' becoming the latest convenient label to hyjack? Some fresh expressions seem to have an all too familiar whiff to them.

Peace to you Mike as you wait.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?